Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Rockin Roundup



Not like a rodeo, but close! The races this past weekend were hard and came down to close sprint finishes.

Saturday was a great cross course. A bit rough, but had a great run-up, climb, and great sandy decent. I lead the race into the first section of single track trying not to go to hard and see how my legs would fair. After last weekend I have to say I was a bit tentative. I let Mitch then take the lead and he also was holding back. After 2 laps there were 4 of us. Me, Mitch, Andrew Dalheim, and Stew Stafford. Mitch put in a solid attack and then I came over the top of his attack on the big climb. This left Mitch and I to battle for the remaining laps. I would attack on the climb into the decent, but he would bring me back on the flats. I could tell he was fading just a bit and on the last lap. I went for broke with a huge attack and I had about 30 meters. Mitch got to within 5 meters with just 300 meters to go, but I held it to the line.

Sunday was the Rocky Hill Roundup MTB race. This is the third time I raced this course and this was definitely the best course so far. I lead the race basically from start to finish, but I was definitely not alone. I had all my road teammates hot on my wheel. Andrew, Tyler, and Tristan.
After the first lap we were all still wheel to wheel. Lap 2 wheel to wheel through the start finish.
Then half way through the lap was a 1/4 mile stretch of uphill jeep road. I put in a huge attack to see how everyone was feeling. The attack left Me, Andrew, and Tyler to go into the third lap. I was starting to feel a bit tired and nervous that we three were still together. Still, I stayed on the front and set tempo. The whole lap I was thinking how I can get away, and knew that my best chance would be on the downhill single track toward the finish. But, even then I still had a 1/2 mile stretch of field to go and was worried they would work together to bring me back. So, I eat a gel with 4 miles to go and relax as much as possible to save energy for my attack. 3 miles just running through the last downhill in my mind. 2 miles was a step climb and at the top of that I would have to make my move. Patience, relax, ok, GOOO! I went and ripped the downhill not looking back for a second. Into the firld i had about 30 meters on Andrew, and 30 more on Tyler. I look back nervously as Andrew was sprinting out of the saddle. Then all I have left I give it one more push. I held Andrew off by seconds and Tyler right on his tail. That was probably one of the funniest MTB races I have done.

Now to packing, as I leave in the morning. Off to Trenton, NJ for the USGP of cyclocross races.

Here are a couple cool picks from Mike Brooks (commiebiker)

Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home